[erlang-questions] eheap_alloc crash when using mnesia

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Oct 22 05:19:11 CEST 2008

I first heard of overcommitment in connection with AIX.
That was about 15 years ago, I think.
Running a little test program on my Solaris 2.10 box
gave me the same amount of VM (modulo noise from other
processes) whether I touched it or not.

Sadly, in Mac OS X 10.5.5, the version that looped,
allocating memory and initialising it, creashed with
this message instead of simply returning NULL:

yyy(2227) malloc: *** mmap(size=1048576) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region

That does pretty horrible things to an argument I was
making in another mailing list.  Sigh.