[erlang-questions] Why isn't erlang strongly typed?

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Tue Oct 21 16:46:14 CEST 2008

On 10/21/08, Steve Davis <steven.charles.davis@REDACTED> wrote:
> I'm sure that there's a simple and convincing answer to this.
IMHO the reason is two-fold. First - historical, i.e. it was largely
based on Prolog. Second - strong typing would complicated hot code
swapping a lot. Having two versions of single function with different
types accepted would be quite cumbersome to handle. What if there are
multiple nodes in a cluster having different versions of some module?
It wouldn't be easy to handle it in strong typed language, imvho.
Though I'm not saying it is impossible ;)