[erlang-questions] What's the status of erl_com, the Erlang-to-COM bridge?

David Mitchell monch1962@REDACTED
Wed Oct 15 22:33:43 CEST 2008

My reason for choosing Erlang in the first place was for scalability -
I need to be able to read/write/monitor upwards of 1000 MQ and Tibco
queues simultaneously, and drive them all and present status plus
drill-down info from a central point via a Web interface.  I've got
access to lots of Intel servers (if necessary) to build this.  With
Erlang, the ease of scaling horizontally makes it relatively
straightforward to handle that quantity of interfaces (ignoring the
fact that they're MQ and Tibco specifically), and using Yaws would
mean that I won't have issues with scalability in data presentation.
Finally, and I haven't thought this next part through thoroughly yet,
I would also lean towards using COMET (not the COM interface project;
the Web push interface project) to push updates out to my Web clients.

Finally the app is such that it needs to be 100% reliable during
extended periods of high load, and OTP gives me the capability to
build that in fairly easily.

Bottom line is that I know Erlang would be a good fit (again, ignoring
the fact that the interfaces are MQ and Tibco), whereas I think it
would take me longer to produce a less-reliable solution in Java.

Regards

Dave M.