[erlang-questions] write the ant simulation in Erlang?

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Oct 10 03:08:29 CEST 2008

On 10 Oct 2008, at 1:57 pm, Robert Virding wrote:
> This was to get around the problem of checking if a cell was free
> before moving into and then finding the cell has been taken.

That was understood.

> The immediate world is one cell left, center, right, so it is very
> immediate. The "spec" stated only one ant per cell.

It *happened* to be very immediate.
What about a protocol like this:
	check each relevant square
	choose where to go
	ask the world to move you
	if it refuses, try again with locking.
The old "locks are usually not contended" idea.

I think one process per cell of the world may make sense.