[erlang-questions] Benchmarking Erlang: Deathmatch of gb_trees, dict, ets, mnesia ... and registered names

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Thu Oct 9 15:38:55 CEST 2008

Joel Reymont wrote:
> Richard, thank you for pointing out the flaw in my code. Still, note
> that the lookup time is still very very low.
>
> I'm not really concerned with the time to populate as my goal is to
> grab a number from every incoming packet and map that to a process id
> so that I can route the packet.

The main thing was just that you will not get any sensible numbers from
the lookup measurement unless you have made sure that the population of
the table has finished first. Otherwise you'll be measuring the time to
look up nonexisting stuff, and for that most storage methods will do
equally well.

    /Richard