[erlang-questions] ?DATE and ?TIME MACROs

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Tue Oct 7 22:46:43 CEST 2008

Kenneth,

I find module_info's {time,CompileTimeAndDate} very useful. At a glance, I
can see whether a set of modules that were recently compiled made it to the
target platform properly after distribution and installation. Unlike
Erlang/OTP itself, the applications I am working with have frequent
releases, and sometimes things can go wrong with the distribution mechanism
(yes, I know, fix the mechanism, but I still like to have to ability to
check). When that happens, I like to be able to look at a beam on the target
system and see its compile date and time, and compare it with the known good
date and time. A checksum would work just as well for pure comparison
purposes but contains less information - a date/time is very human-friendly.
The date of the actual beam is, I feel, somewhat more useful (to me, anyway)
than the date of the source file, because when I release something I usually
rebuild everything from scratch and want to see the *build* date and time in
the beam files, not necessarily the *source* date and time.

My vote, for what it's worth, is to keep {time,CompileTimeAndDate} and add
the compile option to suppress it if it really annoys people.

By the way, if module_info is documented somewhere, could some kind person
please point me to it because I looked for it in the Erlang docs last night
and could not find it. Not saying it's not there, just I couldn't find it.
It wasn't in the permuted indexes, either.

Regards,
Edwin Fine