[erlang-questions] tcp sockets - not clear

deepblue_other cktgatb@REDACTED
Mon Oct 6 21:07:02 CEST 2008

thanks for the reply

Oscar Hellström-2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm assuming that a object is something running in a separate thread,
> which means that you will have to have a thread safe implementation of the
> send() function to be able to get the messages through without problems.
> AFAIK know at least the POSIX implementations are thread safe. Another
> important part here is that the whole message must be put on the wire
> before any part of any other message is, which actually means that the
> send() function need to support atomicy. If this is not the case for you
> send() function you probably need to serialise the sending. You can read
> more about this here:
> http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/marksmith/sendmsg.html

well the flash VM does not support threading yet, so all the object
instances run in the same thread - thus thread safety is not an issue.
you did nail it when saying that the whole message must be on the wire,
which is my original concern, but Im guessing that you guys might not be
able to answer this question since how Flash internally handles this is
somewhat undocumented. However I have a feeling that this is not an issue,
going back to the fact that Flash is single threaded.
the question I guess is if a A is sent after B, TCP will ensure that A is
assembled correctly even if some parts of it come in after B. So TCP
guarantees that messages arrive in one peace (are assembled correctly) but
does not guarantee that they come in the order they were sent?

Oscar Hellström-2 wrote:

> Keep in mind that TCP packages can be fragmented on the way, and you need
> to assemble them yourself unless you use use the {packet, 1|2|4} option
> (and implement that on the flash side), i.e. you need some defined
> protocol.

you confused me here a bit. Im using {packet, 4} at the moment, but Im not
clear what I would have to do if it were {packet,0}, and what I have to do
on the Flash side. The packet assembling would not be handled automatically
by the TCP drivers on both Erlang and Flash side?