[erlang-questions] jinterface

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sat Oct 4 20:02:21 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 15:43, Serge Aleynikov <saleyn@REDACTED> wrote:
> Actually I see what's missing in Java/OTP.NET implementation.  These
> features are documented here:
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/erl_dist_protocol.html#9.7

Even if those features were implemented, the Java VM is still not the
BEAM VM, so it wouldn't be te same anyway. The impedance mismatch
between the two runtime models is too large to integrate them
seamlessly.

> Actually, my overall goal was to establish the reverse - monitor an Erlang process
> from a .NET client (or java), where the client implements a UI application that
> establishes subscription with a process for receiving events of some sort, and
> tries to reestablish subscription if it detects that the remote process died.

Then you are in luck, because it can be done! Start a process that
will do the monitoring and let it forward the messages to the Java
side. This proxying technique can be applied in many other contexts,
too. For example, for the io:format problem, you can start a io server
that works as a proxy for the missing one on the Java side. But you
may find soon that you will prefer to move more and more functionality
on the Erlang side and use Java just as a presentation layer.

best regards,
Vlad