[erlang-questions] REF: DHCP server in inets (URGENT)

Taavi Talvik taavi@REDACTED
Fri Nov 28 22:44:17 CET 2008

On Nov 28, 2008, at 10:38 PM, david.koch@REDACTED wrote:

> I am aware of this version, but I meant about an
> official implementation that would follow the
> whole RFC. Would you like to work with Ericsson's
> internal staff to merge this project into inets
> and complete it ? Until then I'll give it a try,
> crossing my fingers it would work flawlessly !

There is no such thing as dhcp implementation, which
follows whole RFC. It is just impossible task. DHCP
specification is just so ambiguous.

Little bit in http://bgp.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-ietf-dhc-implementation/

Be prepared to adapt whatever available reference
implementation to your specific requirements and specific
clients.

I have written fault tolerant erlang dhcp server for
xDSL address assingnment serving ~10k clients and have been through
the pain.. There are peculiar clients.. There are misbehaving
clients not satisfied with perfectly standard compliant responses
and flooding server..

Anyway.. Erlang was/is create tool for writing this stuff. Ca. 12kLOC
vs. isc 117kLOC.

best regards,
taavi