[erlang-questions] Erlang performance on Windows

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Wed Nov 26 09:31:15 CET 2008

Jesper Eskilson wrote:
> Well, here's a surprise I was not expecting. I tried running a
> slightly optimized (thanks to Richard C) version of my sieve-function
> on my laptop with hipe (Ubuntu 8.10 on a dual-core running at 2.2GHz)
> and compared it with my workstation (XP on a quad-core running at
> 2.4GHz), i.e. without hipe, and hipe did not give any speedup at all.
> The total runtime was lower on the Windows box (1700 msecs vs. 1900
> msecs on the linux machine), but then it does run at a higher clock
> frequency.

Did you also native-compile the array module? (I would guess not.)
Since your program is spending significantly more of its time in
array.erl than in your own module, you'd not see any real speedup
from native-compiling only yours.

(You'll have to "unstick" the stdlib directory, or at least the
array module itself, to be able to recompile it.)

> (BTW: is there a way to switch off hipe? I couldn't find anything in
> the erl man-page.)

If you don't provide a 'native' flag to the compiler, HiPE does not
affect your performance either way, but the system can be configured
to be built without HiPE-support. (The config script enables HiPE by
default on supported platforms.)

    /Richard