[erlang-questions] How to force kernel application will always be started before my app

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Tue Nov 25 22:10:06 CET 2008

mats cronqvist wrote:
> Richard Carlsson <richardc@REDACTED> writes:
>> What we're talking about would be a gen_event server that publishes
>> relatively rarely occurring events.
>
>   enhancing erlang:system_monitor/2 might be a better solution.

I don't think it has the right structure for that. It is very
much tied to the runtime system internals, so it will be hard
(and rather unnatural) to publish software events like server
start/stop through it. Likewise, it would be hard to extend its
functionality so that it behaves like a gen_event server with
multiple subscribers that come and go. (And it might even cause
so much traffic that I'm not quite sure its events should be
broadcast through our hypothetical system event server. Perhaps
a subset of them?)

    /Richard