[erlang-questions] Erlang performance on Windows

Jesper Eskilson jesper@REDACTED
Mon Nov 24 11:16:05 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Kenneth Lundin
<kenneth.lundin@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Jesper,
>
> It would be interesting to know you experiences regarding performance
> of real applications written in Erlang
> and specifically on Windows if that is your are or interest.
>
> I am asking since I know that most of the commercial products that I
> know the details about are
> not using native code generation at all. And they are doing fine when
> it comes to performance anyway.
> I also know that some of those applications have tested with native
> code generation without getting
> significant performance improvements.

I'm mostly using Erlang to solve problems at projecteuler.net. I'm not
sure if that qualifies as "real applications". :-) I think all of the
problems I've solved so far have exclusively been sequential
(calculating primes using Eratosthenes sieve, for example).

I'm comparing the runtimes with what other people are getting with
Java, Haskell, Php, Visual Basic, etc, and my Erlang code always seem
to take 5-10 times longer time to run. Of course, it could just mean
that I'm a lousy Erlang-programmer... ;-)

> In summary, HiPE (native code generation) is great, if you use it with
> care you can get outstanding performance.
> You don't need HiPE in order to get good or competitive performance with Erlang.

I'll run the corresponding program on my Linux-box and see what kind
of performance difference we're really talking about.

--
/Jesper