[erlang-questions] Erlang performance on Windows

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt@REDACTED
Mon Nov 24 00:18:12 CET 2008

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Using autoconf or not is not my call, but the problems I had
> trying to build the system in cygwin with a cross-compiler to
> mingw had to do with various non-standard special case hacks
> the otp team has put in the configure files.

While I can't comment too much on the good/bad of the make system used
for Erlang; it was my impression that at least one of the special cases
was to use the Microsoft compiler (rather than gcc) for the compilation.
I remember reading (either in the README or this list) that the speed
difference between compiling with gcc & compiling with msvc is really
noticeable - with the exception of one file where the gcc "address of
label" extension helped speed up what would otherwise be a (very) large
switch statement.

While I've not compiled Erlang with gcc, I can attest to the fact that
msvc tends to optimise code somewhat better than gcc (at least as far as
the Win32 platform is concerned).

> The first thing I'll do on the Windows port is to make it possible
> to build the system with cygwin+mingw in a clean way. Once that's
> done a HiPE port should be easy.

It was my impression from the technical discussions (RE: HiPE on Win32)
that the problem was not one of difficulty but one of whether it was
advisable to use a certain feature of windows relating to stacks &
exception handling. Has this been resolved in a positive fashion (i.e.
we're happy with the issue being negligible and/or have a different method)?

I would very much like to hear the details & any progress on this as
Win32-enabled HiPE has been something of a pet issue for me. I was the
one that queried this last time, to which Mikael was able to give me a
good run down of why it wasn't possible at the time.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
intended recipient and may be privileged. If you have received this
email inadvertently or you are not the intended recipient, you may not
disseminate, distribute, copy or in any way rely on it. Further, you
should notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your
computer. Whilst we have taken precautions to alert us to the presence
of computer viruses, we cannot guarantee that this email and any files
transmitted with it are free from such viruses.