[erlang-questions] How to force kernel application will always be started before my app

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sun Nov 23 19:19:37 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 18:33, Sergey A. <n39052@REDACTED> wrote:
> I beleive there should be the standard way to ensure that
> all the dependencies of my app were already started.

Hi!

One possible workaround in this case would be to wait until a process
registered as 'kernel_sup' is running. I don't know if it's enough,
but I do a similar thing with the code server. Unfortunately, not all
applications have a registered process that one can wait for...

<thinking loud>
What I would like to have is a system-wide event source that would let
interested parties know when important events in the system take
place, like "kernel started", "code server started", "mnesia
started/stopped", but maybe also things like "node
connected/disconnected". This would mean that this service would need
to be started very early and other applications could register
themselves as event producers and/or listeners.

Quite a large mechanism to put in place, but maybe it's interesting to consider?

best regards,
Vlad