[erlang-questions] On a positive Erlang performance note...

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Fri Nov 21 14:21:12 CET 2008

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Edwin Fine writes:
>  >
>  > That's extremely close to linear and is pretty impressive. I found HiPE gave
>  > about a 10x speedup over BEAM. The results are with HiPE and exclude the
>  > time taken to load the file into a binary.
>  >
>  > Kudos to Erlang and HiPE.
>
> Thanks.
>
>  > PS In the unlikely event that someone wants the code, I will gladly post it
>  > if asked.
>
> Please do. I'd like to include it in the benchmark section
> of HiPE's compiler test suite.
> The 10x speedup over BEAM really put a smile on my face :-)

It put a big smile on my face too, but I am not so surprised.

In programs manipulating binaries, we've often experienced such speedups
(typically 8x) over BEAM when using HiPE, and judging from Edwin's post,
this appears to be a binary-intensive program. (Of course I _will_ be
very surprised if the speedup is due to some reason other than binaries.)

But having the program is a good thing nonetheless.

Kostis