[erlang-questions] next(Erlang): "Fix up records so that records are first-class citizens and not just syntax saccharine for tuples?"

damien morton dmorton@REDACTED
Fri Nov 21 13:15:56 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Steve Davis
<steven.charles.davis@REDACTED> wrote:
> If you are really serious about this - here are some considerations/
> dogma from me:
> - Don't try to support inheritance (preferring decorators will save
> you untold issues later)

Heh. I dont think anyone is proposing that.

> - Consider how close/far JSON maps to record tuples

Richard's frames map very nicely to JSON and back.

> - C.J. Date once said that the big issue with ORM was SQL's lack of
> support for relational domains

You're talking about enum equivalents?

> - XML is a disaster for almost all purposes, so don't be tempted to
> use it for "configuration" or "communications" (it took me a while to
> finally understand Joe's view, but I am 110% there now)

Do you have a link to Joe's view on XML?

> - The entire set of required modifiers is likely: required, unique,
> optional, readonly (and possibly "hidden")
>
> - The entire set of required fundamental types is likely: text,
> number, flag
> - Don't allow nulls in any shape or form

Ahh - the "schema" I referred to was merely the set of keys - its just
an implementation detail that the set of keys _can_ be shared between
frame instances, though this is not necessary. Probably the wrong word
to use.