[erlang-questions] Erlang elseif

kdronnqvist@REDACTED kdronnqvist@REDACTED
Thu Nov 20 09:41:57 CET 2008

Hi everyone I just joined the list and tried to search for information about
this but I could not find anything that answered my question. The thing is
that I want a general way to branch the execution of my code based on the
result on an expression. Very similar to how if works but I want to be able
to test expressions and not only guards. If you're thinking "then you have
case" now look below at function elseif2() and you'll see my point.

I wrote a couple of examples how to solve this but none of them really feels
right, the logic in what I'm trying to do is really REALLY not that
complicated. The functions takes an argument and prints something based on
what list the argument is a member of (if any). Like this:

42> e:elseif4($Q).
Member of capital

I would appreciate any input on this, even if it means you're bashing all my
examples below :-)

BR,
Daniel Rönnqvist

--- Source code for my test module: ----

-module(e).

-export([elseif1/1,elseif2/1,elseif3/1,elseif4/1]).

-define(CAPS, "QWERTY").
-define(SMALL, "qwerty").
-define(NUMS, "123456").

%% The wierd not-so-Erlang way