[erlang-questions] Erlang 3000?

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Tue Nov 18 23:18:10 CET 2008

On 18 Nov 2008, at 10:05 am, Robert Virding wrote:
> Yes, a built-in lightweight form of dictionaries would be nice,
> especially if you can match on them. Something like Joe's structs or
> ROK's frames. However, I do not really see them as a replacement for
> the existing tables as I don't think you can get them both
> lightweight and able to efficiently handle large amounts of data.

100% agreement from me on that one.
Something that can act as a credible replacement for -record
has to be as lightweight as it can be made.

I now have a design for a 'micro-Erlang' and part of an
implementation.  I can happily say that it can be very
lightweight indeed.  Don't hold your breath waiting for it
to be finished, though...  The design does _not_ scale to
large numbers of elements.

I'm intrigued by Joe's new library and would be interested to
hear more about it.