[erlang-questions] How can I turn a working escript into erl-shell?

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Mon Nov 10 20:29:05 CET 2008

Sergey,

I use bash together with the -eval command-line option. I find this gives me
great flexibility because I can embed Erlang code directly in my shell
script and enjoy the benefits of both bash and escript. It took a while to
get the magical incantations right, but now it works like a charm. If I need
to talk to an application on another node, I can do so as you say using rpc.
And, of course, starting a shell is trivial from bash.

For example, here's a Bash shell function I use:

kill_node() {
    echo "Node ${ERL_NODE_NAME} did not shut down when asked nicely, now
halting it."
    ${ERL_CMD} -noshell -noinput -boot ${CLEAN_BOOT_FILE} -sname ${USER}$$ \
        -eval '
            Node = '''${ERL_NODE_NAME}''',
            rpc:call(Node, erlang, halt, [], 3000),
            init:stop(). '
}

ERL_CMD uses erlexec directly, e.g.

export ROOTDIR=...
export BINDIR=...
ERL_CMD="${BINDIR}/erlexec -config ${CONFIG_FILE}"

Regards,
Edwin