[erlang-questions] gen_tcp:recv and hairloss

Kevin q2h46uw02@REDACTED
Sat Nov 8 17:23:29 CET 2008

using controlling_process sounds like a great solution, but I've tried
that.  In the cleaned up code below, I try to assign
the socket to the Fsm, but I get the error {error,not_owner}.

You'd think that if only the controlling process could read from the
socket, than I should never have gotten anywhere, since
the only process that is actually reading from the socket is not the
owner either!

You'd think that in a language where threading and networking are king,
they would mention in the docs that, oh, btw, only
the owning process can call recv on a socket, but sending and closing,
oh you can do that anytime you want.

Another thing, the docs for controlling_process just give the impression
that the owning process merely is the process that
receives messages from the socket, that is, unless you set {active, false}

loop(Sock, Fsm) ->
    case gen_tcp:recv(Sock, 0, ?RECV_TIMEOUT) of %% this works!
    {ok, Request} ->
          ok = gen_tcp:controlling_process(Sock, Fsm), %% {error,not_owner}
          ok = gen_fsm:send_event(Fsm, {Request, Sock}),
          loop(Sock, Fsm)
    {error, Reason} ->
            ok = gen_tcp:close(Sock),
    end.