[erlang-questions] Idiom for multiple case matches

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Nov 7 20:03:07 CET 2008

The significant difference between the two solutions
is really the complexity. The list variant has linear
complexity, whereas the compiler can do better than
that with disjunct function clause patterns. The longer
the list of vowels, the bigger the difference, and the
case where is_vowel(C) -> false is where the difference
is greatest.

Eliminating the redundant function call can be done
by the compiler through inlining.

BR,
Ulf W