[erlang-questions] Upgrading gen_tcp socket to ssl

Ingela Anderton Andin ingela@REDACTED
Wed Nov 5 08:20:19 CET 2008

Hi!

> Hi All,
>
> In ssl-3.9, according to the documentation the connect/2 function allows
> upgrading a gen_tcp socket to a ssl socket.

This is true but only if you use the new ssl-implementation, which in ssl-3.9
was a very limited implementation, there for testing and feedback, and
proably only works well for a few basic tested scenarios.

> But when I try ssl:connect(Gen_tcp_socket,[{verify,0}]), I get
> {eoptions,{cacertfile,[]}}.
> The Gen_tcp_socket is a socket created using gen_tcp:connect/3.
>
> Since {verify,0}, why is a cacertfile required.

Verify options was one of the things that was not fully implemented.

Ssl-3.10 will soon be out in R12B-5 and then the new ssl-implementation
will be much more complete but still there are a few limitations left
before it can completely replace the old ssl. You are welcome to try it
and we are of course interested in any feedback that you might have.

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP - Ericsson