[erlang-questions] is there an elephant in the room? mnesia network partition

Jason Ganetsky jason.ganetsky@REDACTED
Sun Nov 2 23:59:38 CET 2008

I actually came to the same point as you did, a few months ago, and had
asked many people many questions. I also felt there was a lack of
discussion.

Our partitions were actually not caused by the network, but caused by a lack
of a responsiveness of one node. It had too little memory and would end up
swapping... while it was swapping, the second node declared the first
dead... the first node would come back with its connection to the second
broken, declaring the second dead.

To solve the problem, we needed automatic healing. Essentially, you will
have to come up with some mechanism to reconcile the differences between
partitioned databases. Fortunately, in my application, there are ways to
sensibly reconstruct the data from an external MySQL source. Also, you are
going to have to minimize the externalities that may cause a partition. This
means running both nodes on the same switch and making sure they are highly
available (possibly dedicating the machine to mnesia).

However, I ended up needing to read the Mnesia source to understand how it
detects partitions, and how it subsequently behaves. Using
set_master_nodes() has a number of undesirable traits... like it supresses
the running_partitioned_network message that is used to detect partitions. I
set it up so that both nodes in my pair would watch for partitions, both
would discard data with irreconcilable differences, and both would restart
Mnesia. For more details, feel free to e-mail me.

-Jason