[erlang-questions] erlang version

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Sat Nov 1 19:26:16 CET 2008

Klacke,

It would be nice to have that information obtainable all on one place, and
displayed on the shell prompt, too. I am sure that I am stating the obvious
here, but I'll do it anyway. I am just guessing, but I see a correlation
between the last digit of the erts version (e.g. 5.6.1 -> 1) and the actual
release. When I used R12B-3, erts was 5.6.3. Now I am using R12B-4, and erts
is 5.6.4. So I suppose a reasonable way (that is not provably correct until
told otherwise) to get the release string would be

4> erlang:system_info(otp_release) ++ "-" ++
hd(lists:reverse(string:tokens(erlang:system_info(version), "."))).
"R12B-4"

On the other hand, I agree that Erlang really should provide a way to get
the point release, or complete otp_release including point release, without
having to grovel around in the version string

Regards,
Edwin