[erlang-questions] Simple question about nodes distribution

Per Melin <>
Thu May 22 10:14:34 CEST 2008

2008/5/22 Alexander Lamb <>:
> Why, when I ask for nodes() on either system, does it answer with an
> empty list.

You need to let the nodes know that they should connect. For example
with net_kernel:connect_node/1, or just:

()1> net_adm:ping('').

> I experimented further with mnesia. I have a schema on node alex. I
> start mnesia.
> Then, on node alex2 I create a mnesia schema and start mnesia.

You need the same schema on both nodes. You can't create them
independently. Give both nodes to mnesia:create_schema/1.

You can of course also add a node to a schema. I've always found this
a bit awkward, so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the way I add an extra
node is with mnesia:change_config(extra_db_nodes, [''])
and then mnesia:change_table_copy_type(schema, '',
disc_copies).