[erlang-questions] facebook chat server

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Thu May 22 04:56:16 CEST 2008

This is getting off topic, but since it's CORBA I have to chime in. :-)

Doug Lea, Mark Linton, and I wrote the CORBA C++ mapping in the early
90s with hard-core C++ experts in mind. I can honestly say I've never
had any difficulty whatsoever with the C++ mapping. You might argue
that I have a big advantage since I helped write it, but I've gone
years without writing any CORBA code and have had zero trouble
recalling the C++ mapping rules again when necessary. There's a small
set of rules in the mapping that you need to learn; when you do so,
you find that it's all pretty consistent.

The Java mapping OTOH is a bit of a mess, because it's unlike any
normal Java coding or idioms. Java programmers have to resort to
different and somewhat unique approaches when they use that mapping.

What all those years of CORBA taught me, BTW, is that RPC, for a
number of reasons, is generally A Really Bad Idea. Call it a hard-won
lesson. The Erlang flavor of RPC is great because the entire Erlang
system has distribution fundamentally designed and built into it, but
for normal languages, RPC creates more problems than it solves.

--steve