[erlang-questions] [clarify] ets API

Adam Lindberg adam@REDACTED
Fri May 16 21:30:50 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Matthew Dempsky <matthew@REDACTED>
wrote:

> > What are the reasons for ets to exit with badarg when creating duplicate
> > tables?
> Duplicate named tables?  Because the name is the only way to reference
> the table, and you can't specify which table you mean in future calls
> if two share a name.

Well, yes of course. Let me rephrase my question: What is the reason for ets
to exit with badarg instead of, for example, {error, duplicate_table}?

> How would I differ from a real badarg and a duplicate table? I guess I
> > can't?

You can check a table's existence with ets:info/2.

Which ets already does for me, except that it crashes with badarg. This is
harder to debug since you cannot differ between a bad argument (e.g.
ets:new("MyTable")) or a duplicate named table.

/Adam