[erlang-questions] eep: multiple patterns

Andras Georgy Bekes bekesa@REDACTED
Wed May 14 16:20:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

After we've discussed the topic (mainly in the "erlang *****" thread),
I've made the eep-document. I send it to the list for further
discussion.

I haven't received any comments on the proposed pattern-match-test
construct, which is sad as I am not satisfied with what I'm about to
recommend.

There are 3 possibilities:

1, Only _ (underbar) names are allowed.
+ sounds logical, because no variables will be bound anyways.
- Patterns with syntactic restrictions is a new concept in Erlang

2, Only _ and names beginning with _ are allowed.
+ giving meaningful names instead of _-s is a documentation of the code
+ multiple occurences of the same variable in a pattern are meaningful
and useful
- Later use of a variables that occured in a pattern-match-test
is confusing, because they are totally independent
- Patterns with syntactic restrictions is a new concept in Erlang

3, No restrictions.
- Variables not beginning with _ are bad, because
  * not using it later results in compiler warning
  * using it later is confusing (see above)

I don't really like any of the above, but I still think that a
pattern-match-test operator is very useful, so I'm eager to listen to
every constructive opinion.

	Georgy