[erlang-questions] : : : : First send from JInterface ok, second one blocs?? FOUND THE PROBLEM

Wed May 14 11:41:31 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:50:55AM +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:34:07AM +0200, Alexander Lamb wrote:
> > Is it important to dig further? Or can we (for the time being) suggest
> > that on MacOSX NOT to use short names?

Sorry, I just had to test one final thing,
and I think I have reproduced your problem...

I tested on MacOS X Leopard uname -a:
Darwin foo 9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar  4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
It has a fresh update of Java.

If I start the erlang node with -sname e@REDACTED
and then run my test program as:
foo$ java -DOtpConnection.trace=4 jrpc j@REDACTED `cat ~/.erlang.cookie` e@REDACTED hello
it behaves as you describe. And what is interesting is,
now from your trace, same in mine:
-> LOOKUP (r4) alex@REDACTED
:
<- HANDSHAKE recvChallenge from=alex@REDACTED challenge=1257096912
: first send, now second...
-> LOOKUP (r4) alex@REDACTED

So Jinterface looks up alex@REDACTED, finds and contacts
it, and gets replies from alex@REDACTED An Erlang node
would have detected the difference in hostnames
and refused the connection, but Jinterface registers
the connection as being to alex@REDACTED, and when the
lookup is made since the only existing connection
is to alex@REDACTED, and this time the Erlang node
detects a duplicate connection and closes it.

So there probably is no problem with long hostnames,
you just have to specify the hostname part of the
node name as -sname alex@REDACTED, not -sname alex.
And the MacOS X problem is probably a name resolution
problem for the domain .local.

But there is a bug that Jinterface does not refuse
the connection for mismatching hostname parts of
the node name, and thereby gets a faulty registered
connetion.