[erlang-questions] : : First send from JInterface ok, second one blocs?? FOUND THE PROBLEM

Alexander Lamb <>
Wed May 14 09:34:07 CEST 2008

Is it important to dig further? Or can we (for the time being) suggest  
that on MacOSX NOT to use short names?

Of course, I can setup a test case, but being new to Erlang, I might  
not be looking for the right things.
Tell me if you want me to check some additional info!

To answer a previous question from Raimo, I traced the objects I use  
to connect (especially the mailbox) and I can confirm that my test was  
using only one object. Therefore, we are clearly in a situation where  
upon setting up the connection the lookup works one way and for  
following lookups it works in another way.


Le 14 mai 08 à 09:25, Vlad Dumitrescu a écrit :

> Hi,
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Alexander Lamb < 
> > wrote:
> Now, my impression is that this is a special effect of MacOSX (I am
> running the 10.5.2 on Intel with the latest version of Erlang). It is
> probable that the way name resolution works locally (the two nodes on
> my desktop) is different from Linux.
> This could be the reason. Working with ErlIDE, I got many bug  
> reports about the connection between Java and Erlang not working on  
> OSX. I think almost all of them were caused by this mismatch between  
> how Java and Erlang look up hosts by name. We had to use long names  
> for the Erlang nodes.
> This doesn't really answer why it did work the first time. Like  
> Raimo said, maybe the connection is retried several times. The  
> connection can be closed for several reasons, for example if data  
> that can't be decoded is received. Hard to tell without any  
> additional info.
> regards,
> Vlad

More information about the erlang-questions mailing list