[erlang-questions] erlang:phash2(make_ref(), 1 bsl 32)

Darren New <>
Thu May 8 05:56:40 CEST 2008

Per Melin wrote:
> Isn't that a little unfortunate?

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that make_ref() doesn't make a
particularly unique reference. It wouldn't serve well as (say) a primary
key in a long-term database, unlike (say) a microsoft-style GUID. Am I
right in this?

I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion that either
would be unique enough to hash into a long-term unique value.

   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"
          "It's the Age of Channelwood."