[erlang-questions] few questions: common sense is not so common

Gleb Peregud <>
Wed May 7 22:20:42 CEST 2008

On 5/7/08, db <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have few questions that need be cleared up.  Here they are:
> q1) How come there isn't a way to empty the gen_server mailbox?  I
> have seen only pattern matching for desired messages.
> q2) I need a way to provide a wrapper around a another gen_server
> module, what is the recommended approach?  (Start the both gen_servers
> and use wrapper as a proxy messenger to the other gen_server).
> q3) Do you advice using sequential receives?  (I have a process that
> does the gathering.  It waits for so certain # of processes to send
> reduced results and then forwards the final gathered result to another
> process.  Gather process then loops over for another set of new
> receive).
> q4) Sending large list of tuple as messages, 1000 elements, between
> processes on remote nodes be a wise approach?
> Thank you,
> --
> rk
> That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that
> the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is
> increased.
> -Ralph Waldo Emerson

q4) and q5) looks like one i had while implementing distributed
decision trees construction algorithm. Is your task similar to this

btw, is anyone interested in distributed decision trees construction
algorithm written in Erlang? I've written it as one of the projects at
the University. Frankly speaking it is not efficient (~10% speedup
with 2 computers instead of 1), but probably it may be improved quite
easily :) Documentation is included.

Gleb Peregud

Every minute is to be grasped.
Time waits for nobody.