[erlang-questions] A problem with ETS + SMP

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu Mar 27 08:34:26 CET 2008

Good: no copying, and only locking the process itself
Also good: the process dictionary is implemented as a linear hash
table, so it scales about as well as ets does.

Bad: No search functions, other than fetching all objects and sifting
through them.

Bad(?): There is no efficient way for another process to access a
single object; it has to ask the owner for it, or pull the entire
dictionary and do a linear search through it.

Bad(?): If the process dies, the entire contents of the process
dictionary are included in the crash report. This is often helpful,
but may be a terrible idea if the dictionary is very large.

BR,
Ulf W