[erlang-questions] Cryptic error messages

Will.Irwin@REDACTED Will.Irwin@REDACTED
Wed Mar 26 21:42:58 CET 2008

I am running 1:11b5 on Ubuntu (that's the latest version in Ubuntu's
package management system, though I see there is a 1:12 out now).

I am getting really cryptic messages in response to any error that I
make.

For example:

(ping@REDACTED)1> M = 5.
5
(ping@REDACTED)2> M = 6.

=ERROR REPORT==== 26-Mar-2008::14:01:34 ===
Error in process <0.37.0> on node 'ping@REDACTED' with exit value:
{{badmatch,6},[{erl_eval,expr,3}]}

** exited: {{badmatch,6},[{erl_eval,expr,3}]} **

Huh?

... whereas from reading the Getting Started with Erlang tutorial, I was
expecting a message like:

** exception error: no match of right hand side value 6

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way it is in the version I
have?

(For my second day running Erlang, error messages like this are not
exactly helping my learning curve  )