[erlang-questions] Erlang Garbage Collection

orbitz@REDACTED orbitz@REDACTED
Fri Mar 21 07:24:14 CET 2008

The very basics are Erlang either has a per-process heap, so any data
the process uses is kept in its specific heap, or a hybrid heap which
has a per-process and global heap for shared data.

The issue with the former is you can have a lot of duplicated data if
processes are sharing a lot.
The benefit is cleaning up after a process is as simple as destroying
its heap

The issue with the latter is your GC algorithm has to do more work
when it is cleaning out the global heap.
The benefit is you are duplicating less data.

This is how things worked a year or so ago AFAIK.

I would imagine, but do not know, that the semantics of erlang might
make gc'ing a bit easier.  For instance you don't have to worry about
cycle.

Hopefully someone will have a bit more detail than myself.