[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Wed Mar 19 23:16:00 CET 2008

>  > However, it is really beneficial to be able to clone a repository.
>  > This way anyone can publish their patches which then can be merged
>  > by anyone with a maintained history.
>
>  We can easily set up a continuous import on Launchpad.net from a
>  subversion repository into a bazaar branch. This will make it easy for

While I am partial to GIT already, the following document should be
read for how development can be done using a DSCM, not only git:

http://erlangish.blogspot.com/2007/10/erlware-and-git-development-model.html

These are the values I see:
* OTP would still receive patches over erlang-patches and have the
last word on what gets committed.
* Anyone gets commit access to _a_ repository so their parallel
branches can be kept up to date with the master OTP branch.
  + Experimental branches can live side by side until they reach OTP-quality.
* DSCM encourages change-sets that map 1:1 with an added
feature/bugfix, so the change history in itself is very readable
and educational as to how future similar changes should be made. (No
daily Clear-case-syncing commits that just bring the public repo up to
date please!)

PS.
GIT is not very small or going unmaintained away anytime soon:

http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitProjects