[erlang-questions] System monitoring and logging

Peter Mechlenborg peter@REDACTED
Wed Mar 19 14:54:43 CET 2008

Hi

For the last 18 month or so I have been working on an interesting
project written in Erlang.  Over the last months it has become clear
to me that we need a more structured way of monitoring our systems.
Right now we basically just have a log file with lots of different
information.  I'm starting to realize that monitoring and visibility
are important properties that should be an integrated part of our
architecture; not an add-on.  I also think this applies to almost all
server systems, especially those with high demands on fault
tolerance, so this issue must have been solved many times before in
Erlang, or am I wrong here?

We have started looking into SNMP, and this seems promising, even
though it seem a bit old (I get the impression that SNMP where hot 10
years ago, but is kind of phasing out right now.  Is this correct?)
and rigid.  I have not been able to find any alternatives to SNMP, do
there exist any?  I would really like some feedback on how you guys
handle monitoring and logging on the systems you develop and operate,
do you use SNMP, some other framework, nothing, or something home grown.

Have fun,

   --  Peter Mechlenborg