[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Matthew Dempsky matthew@REDACTED
Tue Mar 18 13:52:50 CET 2008

On 3/18/08, Massimo Cesaro <massimo.cesaro@REDACTED> wrote:
> But Jython and the likes are not Python; I don't know about Python, but I
> think that the Python community is sticking to the kosher Python as defined
> by Guido van Rossum.

The point of projects like Stackless and PyPy are not to get the
community to move to a new platform.  They're domains for
experimenting with new ideas without complicating the baseline
implementation.  If those experiments prove successful, they're likely
to gain wider attention and use (e.g., a lot of Stackless features
have been integrated into PyPy).

> I wouldn't call HiPE a flavor. HiPE is a native compiler derived from Erlang
> specifications which eventually was merged in the language distribution
> itself.

>From the HiPE manual at
http://www.it.uu.se/research/group/hipe/documents/hipe_manual.pdf:

"The HiPE system is intended as an experimental platform for research
in language implementation and compiler techniques as applied to
Erlang.  One goal with this system is that [it] should be a complete
Erlang implementation."

This is exactly what Jython/Stackless/PyPy/IronPython/etc. are.