[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Massimo Cesaro massimo.cesaro@REDACTED
Tue Mar 18 10:51:41 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Matthew Dempsky <matthew@REDACTED>
wrote:

> On 3/18/08, Massimo Cesaro <massimo.cesaro@REDACTED> wrote:
> > My point is: we (Erlang professional users) should avoid the generation
> of
> > different Erlang flavors, based on experiments or otherwise.
>
> Why?  Python has a handful of flavors based on different experiments
> (Jython, Stackless, PyPy), and the community has not collapsed.  If
> someone really were to implement Jerlang, there's no reason you'd be
> forced to use it.

But Jython and the likes are not Python; I don't know about Python, but I
think that the Python community is sticking to the kosher Python as defined
by Guido van Rossum. If somebody wants to stretch and flex the language to
adapt it to a problem domain for which it wasn't designed, it's just their
option. I would personally try to find out a language/development
environment closer to what is the problem at hand.

> Looking at the HiPE website, they mention it was merged into OTP in
> 2001, but their publications page lists documents from as far back as
> 1996.  I read into this that HiPE was just such an experimental flavor
> for the first 5 years of its life.

I wouldn't call HiPE a flavor. HiPE is a native compiler derived from Erlang
specifications which eventually was merged in the language distribution
itself. If I remember HiPE history, it wasn't born out of the bazaar model,
but rather out of a university research with a closed team. Today, I guess
HiPE follows the same quality process of Erlang and OTP.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to start a flame war. It's just that I strongly
believe that the Erlang community backed by the Ericsson people is really an
example of excellence in the world of open source.

Massimo