[erlang-questions] creating linked in drivers for Erlang on OSX using gcc

Matt Stancliff <>
Mon Mar 17 23:41:17 CET 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 03:52, Tim Watson wrote:

> We'd tried with -bundle and -fno-common previously and it didn't work.
> Finally, my co-conspiritor tried renaming the output files to .so
> instead of .dylib and guess what!? It works.
> Thanks for your help. I'd love to know why the file extension alone
> causes a problem though.

   If you look at the Erlang source code, you'll find .so is the
hardcoded extension:
#define FILE_EXT     ".so"    /* extension appended to the filename */

   Also, there is a good explanation of .dylib versus .bundle
versus .so at:

Matt Stancliff                    San Jose, CA
AIM: seijimr              iPhone: 678-591-9337
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." --Alan Kay