[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Jim Miller gordon.j.miller@REDACTED
Mon Mar 17 17:34:27 CET 2008

> Please help me to understand: What are the real benefits in doing this?
> Erlang and OTP are a good example of conceptual integrity, mostly because
> they are designed to solve real world problems; what are the benefits in
> allowing, for example, the forking of the build tree?
>  The language and its libraries are not static, they are maintained by
> Ericsson in a win-win situation for the end user. Until now, the Erlang
> maintainers were quite responsive to the Erlang community requests, and the
> overall quality of their releases is close to excellence.
>  Sure, maybe accessing the Erlang bug tracking system could be really
> useful, but all the bugs signaled to the mailing list are at least
> acknowledged by the developers.
> The EEP initiative also contribute to the development of the language, and
> although someone criticized it, I still have to find another development
> tool which is so well documented.
>  I'm not an expert in the management of open source projects, but what could
> the Erlang users gain from the bazaar?
>
> Massimo

I would second this question and argue against opening the repository
unless a clear advantage over the existing system, besides the "I want
to contribute", can be demonstrated.  Contrary to what we open source
advocates may believe, OS is not the oasis of bug free code, useable,
tested code.