[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Thu Mar 13 08:59:09 CET 2008

attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Anders G S Svensson wrote:
> [...]
>
>> You might not think that when the code is at a customer site and
>> applying patches isn't something the customer (or the layers of
>> management between you and the customer) will let you do.
>>

> Thankfully I haven't been in this situation. But I stand by my claim -
> if it's possible, it's often faster to insert io:format calls into the
> call than to try to make sense of hundreds of lines of trace generated by
> two simple function calls. Actually it would be nice if we'd have a tool
> that could parse such trace and the source code and could show me that
> which function was called...

  i claim that in a real system, it is *always* faster to use the trace
BIF than io:format, if you are equally skilled with both.
  for example, the "hundreds of lines of trace" you're talking about
would presumably be the arguments to functions calls?
  from the erlang:trace/3 man page; "arity - Used in conjunction with
the call trace flag. {M, F, Arity} will be specified instead of {M, F,
Args} in call trace messages."

  the need for a better tool than dbg to interface with the trace BIF is
a different issue.

  mats