[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Tue Mar 11 17:48:38 CET 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Armando Di Cianno wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 09:11 +0100, Ulf Wiger wrote:
>> IOW many complain about various quirks in Erlang, as well as the
>> apparent lack of efficient (at the very least familiar) string
>> handling support. We can choose to dismiss the complaints as
>> secondary
>> (which may or may not be true, depending on context), or address the
>> specific issues. I am quite sure I read ROK's post as suggesting the
>> latter, as he suggests fixing the deliminator issue, and puts in a
>> vote for a unicode-capable string type.
>
> I think that something that gets lost in the noise of this
> discussion is
> the difference between /better string support/ and /first class
> support
> of UTF-8/.

Honestly, in this day and age, I'm not convinced there's a strong
difference here.  Or, rather, the second is a subset of the first.
Doing strings well in the modern world necessarily means confronting
the issues of Unicode support.  (Which I assume is what you really
meant.  UTF-8 vs. any other character encoding is an implementation
detail.)