[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Armando Di Cianno armando@REDACTED
Tue Mar 11 15:50:16 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 09:11 +0100, Ulf Wiger wrote:
> IOW many complain about various quirks in Erlang, as well as the
> apparent lack of efficient (at the very least familiar) string
> handling support. We can choose to dismiss the complaints as secondary
> (which may or may not be true, depending on context), or address the
> specific issues. I am quite sure I read ROK's post as suggesting the
> latter, as he suggests fixing the deliminator issue, and puts in a
> vote for a unicode-capable string type.

I think that something that gets lost in the noise of this discussion is
the difference between /better string support/ and /first class support
of UTF-8/.

I can deal w/o the better string support ad infinitum.  I can also deal
w/o first class UTF-8 support as long as I'm writing apps that go DB <->
Web.  However, if I can't write in Hindi/Sanskrit -- for e.g. -- for a
GUI app running on a system, without jumping through hoops, I'm not
terribly interested to write more-native-type programs in that language.

--
Armando Di Cianno
http://dicianno.org/blog