[erlang-questions] Microsoft Singularity Research OS

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Fri Mar 7 07:35:43 CET 2008

Microsoft has a "new concept" for OS research.  It is an operating
system written in C#.
“Our goal was to make Singularity small enough, simple enough, and
well-designed enough that you can try out radical new ideas quickly,”
Hunt says. “Our thinking is that a researcher with a great new idea
for improving operating systems could get from idea to published
paper in under a year using Singularity.”

There are three main principles behind the OS:

1) Software-isolated processes (SIPs)

"Singularity pioneers the use of software-isolated processes (SIPs)
to help protect programs and system services. SIPs enable programs to
be broken down into components that are isolated from other software
components running on the same device. This enables pieces of a
system to fail without risking a total system failure. Consider this
analogy: In a car, the brakes don’t fail if the radio stops working."

2) Contract-based channels for communicating among SIPs
“We figured out how to describe the form in which communications
should take place between two processes, and using static analysis,
we can check the codes of the processes at compile time,” Hunt
explains. “So before the code ever runs, we can confirm that the
processes communicate correctly.”

3) Manifest-based programs with resources describing the structure
“We basically say, if you want to install a program to run on a
Singularity system, you have to provide some information about it so
we can preserve certain properties that make the system more
reliable,” Larus explains. “You have to provide a manifest of the
program pieces and how they fit together, and we’re going to check
it. More important, we reserve the right to say ‘no.’ If a certain
program doesn’t follow the rules set down for the system, you can’t
install or run it.”

jay