[erlang-questions] Use of makefiles

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Wed Mar 5 18:57:00 CET 2008

On Mar 4, 2008, at 11:58 PM, Bengt Kleberg wrote:

> I have heard that there is only one perl, so it should be compatible.

Well, sort of, but not entirely.  Perl 5.10 was just released.  It has
new features which 5.8 does not support.  5.8 has features that 5.6
does not and, in fact, some outright incompatibilities.  5.8.0 has
subtle but significant differences in file I/O and UTF-8 handling from
the rest of the 5.8.x series.  You will find all of these in the
wild.  If you're really unlucky, you might even find a system with an
older version than 5.6.

-kevin