[erlang-questions] Use of makefiles

Matt Kangas kangas@REDACTED
Tue Mar 4 22:51:09 CET 2008

For those who despise makefile syntax, there are plenty of newer "make
replacements" out there:

"rake"	http://rake.rubyforge.org/
"ant"	http://ant.apache.org/
"Jam"	http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html

Lesser known: "cons" (Perl), "SCons" (Python), "memoize". Google for
"make replacement" to find these and more.

Of course, *none* of these are as ubiquitous as "make", nor will be
for a very long time. If you're shipping code for someone else to
build -- e.g. Joe's book -- then "make" is the only realistic choice.

--Matt, who's hoping this thread can die now :)

--
Matt Kangas
kangas@REDACTED – www.p16blog.com