[erlang-questions] LAPD

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Mon Mar 3 22:59:40 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Vance Shipley <vances@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Sun Mar 2 09:36:07 CET 2008 Torben Hoffmann wrote:
> } I have worked with Erlang/OTP for almost 2 years now - the last
> } year full time on a project which creates a telephone exchange
> } where we have dealt with encoding and decoding of Q.SIG (PSS1)
> } plus the Q.SIG protocol stack itself as well as an interface to
> } layer 2 with a C-port.
>
> You could have used my native Erlang Layer 2 (LAPD)!
>
>        http://lapderl.ggoglecode.com
>
>        -Vance

Argh, that almost hurts, but only almost... ;-)

I didn't find any links apart from the old Motivity url's when I searched
last summer so I decided to be a man about it and write a C-port to the E1
card that we were mandated to use - it was enough that we got fancy on the
software side, so no room for changing the hardware as well!!

Anyway, the experience of interfacing to something that has a C-API has not
killed me, but made me stronger plus it also allowed me to show that Erlang
can interact with legacy code when that is needed and that is a good selling
point.

Once the deadline pressure on my project is over I will look into the
possibility of releasing the source code for the E1 card since I have made
an abstraction layer (not as abstract as I would have liked it, but you live
life forwards and understand it backwards) so that I could swap out the E1
card for another relatively easy, i.e., one would only have to write a
C-port that opens up to the DL primitives and then one has a functional LAPD
protocol. This seems to be something that others might benefit from, but
releasing code is not that straight forward when working in a big company so
the exploration will have to wait until I have proven that Erlang/OTP was
the right choice for the project.

Luckily I do not have the surplus energy to dig into your code now so I can
stay oblivious to the possibility that I might have re-invented the wheel...
at least for now!

Cheers,
Torben