[erlang-questions] blocking vs non-blocking gen_tcp:accept()

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Sat Mar 1 21:39:42 CET 2008

Matthias Lang wrote:
> Robin writes:
>  > Does gen_tcp:accept() block the entire OS thread or just the calling
>  > erlang process?
>
> Just the erlang process. (verifying this yourself is straightforward)

Having accept() as function that receives a message as opposed
to hanging would make a lot of sense though.

I know that it's possible to use the lowlevel libs to accomplish
this but it should be exposed to user level (and documented) in
a manner similar to the {tcp, Sock, Data} message we get from an
active socket.

Maybe we should have a list similar to the
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ list where people
get to tell the core developers what they should
do :-)

/klacke