[erlang-questions] Ideas for a new Erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Jun 27 15:52:05 CEST 2008

2008/6/27 Sven-Olof Nystr|m <svenolof@REDACTED>:
> Ulf Wiger writes:
>
>  > It's a bit like saying "global variables are bad, so we'll introduce
>  > local variables - but global variables are great, so you can have
>  > them too."
>
> Only if you think that mailboxes are like global variables :-)

Well, in a sense they are. (:

One of the nice aspects of channels is that you cannot consume
a message from a channel unless you have its handle. This means
that you can be sure that a function that has not been passed a
channel reference cannot remove messages from it.

The default channel, however, is available to function executing in
the process, so there is no explicit control of scope.

BR,
Ulf W